Saturday, February 28, 2009

Descriptive Paragraphs by ESL 3 Students

Feb. 2009 -The class assignment was to write a descriptive paragraph about a personal event that included sensory images.  Several of these came from very emotional events in the students' lives. The authors names are at the bottom.


     I remember when I was 14, I came to the United States because I was going to see my mother for the first time. I had spent 11 years without seeing her. I was sitting in a car waiting to see my mom and get to the place we were going to meet. I was nervous because I didn't know what to say or what to do. I was excited. My hands were wet. I was feeling butterflies in my stomach. My heart was beating so fast. I felt like my heart was going to come out from my chest. The moment was getting closer. I started to see illusions. I was imagining my mom like an old woman with an ugly face full of marks. I was going crazy because I was so excited. Then I saw her. She was getting out of her car. She ran to hug me. We started to cry. I couldn't stop crying. It was amazing. She looked beautiful, the most beautiful mom ever. She was crying a lot. Then we went home to  my new home. I felt like Cinderella in a castle. It was the best day of my life. It was just amazing, wonderful.

    One day I was playing the soccer championship at my school “Venice” and it was the final. I remember that my team was losing  1-0 and everyone was as mad as bulls. The coach didn’t put me in because I didn’t go to practice the day before that day. I was thinking the worst thing when I was watching the game. Suddenly a thought came into my mind to tell coach to put me in and I was going to score. I was sweating but I grabbed my pants and I went to tell him. Then he told me to warm-up. I was happy but at the same time I was as nervous as Ronaldo when he made his debut in Real Madrid against Barcelona. When I started playing, I couldn’t concentrate because everyone was yelling at each other but suddenly, I heard a sweet voice in my head and that was my mom. I thought I wasn’t going to play well but my mom gave me the strength to continue and score. Finally I made two goals and we won the championship.

    On  my first date in my life, I was shy in the beginning. I was shaking like  when I'm   waiting to find out my grade  on  some test. I was  feeling like I  hadn't eaten anything for a whole  week and my stomach  was like a hole. But  I wasn't hungry,  there  was just  a hole.
I was nervous  about what to say, what  to do or even in what position to stand. But after five minutes talking  with the boy,  I felt better. I believed in myself that  everything  will be okay , and that's how I overcame  my shyness. We went for a walk in the park. We went to the  Zoo. But we didn't  notice  how fast  the time  was flying. He walked me to my apartment and, hugging me, he kissed me on the cheek. My heart was beating so fast like  when a train speeds faster and faster. Then  he smiled at me and left . When I went inside I wasn't able to stop thinking about him, about our next date. I was so happy  I was ready to scream. I felt if I jumped from the building I would be able to fly like a free bird.

    One day, a rainstorm arrived. That storm was the worst, because a lot of houses and trees were falling. I was sitting with my mom in the living room. We were watching a movie. I was only eight years old. Then, we heard crackling thunder. Lights flashed in the sky. The power went out, and we couldn’t see anymore.
    I was frightened. Very scared. I was shaking. I put my hands over my ears to help me not to hear the  thunder. But my hands didn’t help. My eyes became red like when you touch pepper and by accidentally put your fingers in your eyes.
    I got under the table. But my feet hurt because I was crouching so tight that I had to get out. Then, my mom understood that I was scared. She hugged me and told me that it was okay.    

    When I was 15 years old, I met this girl. I started to talk to her in the classroom and she was pretty as a flower and her lips were like strawberries with chocolate that anyone would like to eat. She had the body of a diva and her eyes were like two moons shining all over inside my heart and spirit. I invented an excuse for the teacher so I can go sit next to her and she approve my excuse. When I sat next to her, I was shaking like a building in a earthquake. Then she dropped her pencil and I looked straight into her beautiful eyes. We started talking like two birds in a sunrise on a beautiful shining morning .Finally the teacher scolded us for talking in the classroom.

    I remember when I felt nervous because I needed to explain in front of the class a project about health. When I was explaining the project, I felt terrible because it was the first time I spoke in front of my classmates. When I started to speak, my body was shuddering. Also at the same time, I started to stutter because I couldn’t talk well. But when I finished explaining, I felt relaxed because I did very well.  

    I was sitting in the chair, feeling like a criminal because I did not study. I was in that big, cold  geometry class. That room was full of students. Those people were scratching their heads because they were thinking about the problems that were on the test. When I saw those difficult problems, I started to shake like jelly  and I felt like I was walking in the snow without  a sweater, because my body was trembling.

    I was driving the car to Subway for my job interview and I was in a rush. I forgot my ID at home and when I remembered, it felt like everything stopped moving, and it was like I didn’t know what I was doing anymore, because of one simple problem. I didn’t get that job that day.            
    
    “The Orphanage”, was a scary movie about a boy that had problems and tried to kill people, and usually when a scary part came I felt like my heart stopped and I went all white. I also felt like when I was in a cold place and I started shaking. Sometimes I closed my eyes and started singing in my head so in that way I wouldn’t hear the movie.

    I started looking at my music notes. It was Friday and I was in my fifth period, my instrument class. I felt like my head was going to explode. My head felt like it was on fire, it smelled like burned meat. My brain was melting, I forgot everything I had learned. My heart was beating extremely fast. I thought I was going  to have a heart attack. All because of a music playing test.   

    When my boyfriend called me for the first time, I wasn’t expecting his call. We were chatting on the computer and he told me he needed to call a friend. Suddenly my phone rang. I picked up the phone and it was him. I got very nervous. My face got as red as a tomato. My ears were as hot as boiling water. My legs were shaking. My hands were sweating. My heart was pumping as if I had run a mile. But I calmed down and pretended like I wasn’t surprised at all. We started talking and a few minutes later I wasn’t nervous anymore. I felt very comfortable talking with him on the phone.

    One day I was walking around the beach, when I saw an amazing girl coming out of the sea. She was my ex-girlfriend. She got close to me and she said hi. In a moment, my body was shivering. My  heart  was jumping  and bumping. I felt lots of ants were walking around inside of my body. My face turned red and hot. She drove me nuts because she still beautiful like when I met her at the first time. I sighed at her beauty.

    I remember when I got my first ticket for fighting in front of a public library. I was so scared I didn't wanted to go home and tell my parents about it. I knew they would get so mad, especially my dad. When he got home, my bodywas shaking alot. I couldn't stop it. It was shaking like when you're blending something. My heart was beating so fast, I felt like it was about to come out of my chest. I was thinking of not saying anything about the ticket. But I knew I had to tell my parents, or else I would get in more trouble. So I finally got up and stood in front of my dad. I gave my dad the ticket. He asked me what was it so I told him that it was a ticket for fighting. The look on his face was so scary, his forehead started to shrink. He was mad I knew it, but all he said Is that we were going to go to court.

    I was going out for the first time with my boyfriend. I was so nervous. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I couldn't sleep well in the night before. When I was right in front of him, my body started shaking and my heart started beating fast. I met him at Santa Monica Beach. That day was so perfect. We started talking and talking. Neither of us was bored. We were sitting in front of the ocean. The breeze of the beach was cold but at the same time it was fresh. The weather helped to make that day perfect. The sun was bright. I won't forget my first day with him.
It was the first time that I met my boyfriend. His name is Leonardo but I call him Leo. I called a taxi to go to the airport. When I got to the airport, I was scared and cracking my knuckles. People were coming off the plane. I was looking for him. I remember the last picture that he sent me on Myspace. He told me that the way he looks in the picture is exactly the way he is. Finally I saw him but he didn’t see me because I’m too short and he is tall like a palm tree. He was looking around. After a few minutes, I start to walk toward him. When he saw me, the only thing we said was our names. Then, we were quiet like mimes. I didn't know what to say to him.
    It was crazy how I met him. We met on Myspace. I started to chat with his best friend Xavier. He was my best friend, but he moved to New York. Leo lives in New York City and I live in Los Angeles. We say that we are cuckoo. It means that we are crazy. We talk on the phone every night. His sister told him. "This girl is too crazy for you." When he told me that I began laughing like a coyote. We are going to be together one day. I will be so happy to be with him.      

Erick De Leon, Anayeli De Luis, Sion Kisalu, Mirela Kostova, Eduardo Marmol, Joanna Martinez, Angel Montesinos, Marcos Natareno, Yolanda Natareno, Fanuel Negash, Mariano Nolte, Yosira Raudales, Jose Reyes, Sonia Ruiz, Claudia Urquiza

No comments:

Post a Comment